30 January 2018

magenta - yellow - cyan palette


I have the Mother (or is that Grandmother?) of all Head & Chest Colds. Absolutely no energy to do anything beyond coughing and blowing my nose. But I’m “sick of being sick”, so this is my distraction for the day.

When Maria Coryell-Martin redesigned her Pocket Palette using a lighter weight metal and more streamlined lower edge, I was quick to order one and use it as my main carry-along palette. But I still keep the old one filled, ready to grab when my color-mood changes. This pigment selection is based on the brighter magenta - yellow - cyan colors used by today’s printers, plus I added a few convenience colors to fill it out.

I had thought that the dark gold was quinacridone gold, but it is actually an experimental mix learned from Jane Blundell of quin. gold and goethite stirred together. As such, it’s more of a neutral earth yellow than a gold, and should be placed between the darker blue and burnt sienna. I have always ordered my colors in “rainbow order”, followed by neutral earth tones.


There wasn’t enough room on this journal page to include every color in the color chart, so I just mixed the basics for a mixing reminder. The colors in this palette are:

PERMANENT ROSE
QUINACRIDONE GOLD + GOETHITE
HANSA YELLOW MEDIUM
PHTHALO GREEN, YS
PHTHALO GREEN, BS
MANGANESE BLUE HUE
PHTHALO BLUE, RS
BURNT SIENNA
PAYNE’S GRAY



4 comments:

  1. Vicky, I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I know what you mean by "sick of being sick and will be sending up some healing prayers for you. I love Maganese Blue Hue. It is one of my favorites and looks so beautiful when painted next to an orange. Hope you are on the mend soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew one’s face could hurt this bad! Never had a cold quite like this . . . maybe it’s super-germ mutated from the overuse of antibacterial products? As tired as he is, Bill is taking good care of me and this too shall pass!

    There are several colors here that I have not used much: manganese blue hue, phthalo green YS, phthalo blue RS, Payne’s gray . . . It will be fun to learn what they can do together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry--do hope you feel better soon! I use both Phthalo Green yellow shade and blue shade in nearly every painting or sketch mixed with quinacridone gold to get a nice variety of greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phhalo green BS and quinacridone gold are my absolute favorite greens! Whatever are we going to use when our current stashes of quin. gold run out?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...