17 February 2016

recent purchases


My inexpensive JinHao x750 fountain pens arrived while we were gone, ordered after seeing a YouTube video showing how to make these cheap pens into flex nib pens by switching out the regular nib with a Zebra G flex nib (sold in a 10-pack for under $10 at JetPens.com). The red JinHao x750 cost under $4; with the nib costing $1, that makes the modified pen under $5.00 -- and the flex is amazing! The pen also comes with a converter already in it, ready to fill with fountain pen ink.

I've tried Noodler's flex pens but have never been happy with the ink-filling systems. This one fills similar to a Lamy Safari pen and seems to hold a good amount of ink without leakage.

The gold pen, also a JinHao x750, cost a few dollars more because it said it came with a bent nib which I wanted to try out. Unfortunately, the seller sent the wrong item and it has a regular nib. I have been trying to work with them to get the bent nib that was supposed to come with it but nothing yet. The seller is apparently Chinese (though I bought it through Amazon) and communication has been spotty. If I can't get the correct nib, I'll put another of the flex nibs in it.

Yesterday we also bought a dwarf holly shrub to replace a photinia shrub that died in the heavy rains . . . then found out that Bill is apparently allergic to it. So if we trim it, I'll be the one handling the branches. (I prefer a natural growth anyway.) And a huge bag of potting soil --- now I'm off to re-pot a much-overgrown aloe vera plant.


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful sketch of those pens. I'm envious of you being able to access pens like this. I'm still trying to like my Lamy Joy so I'm a bit reluctant to spend more money chasing that elusive must have pen, although a flex nib sounds exciting . Postage costs over here are a deterrent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz Steel told me about your postage costs (explains her buying art supplies on her trips). It would probably be horrendous compared to the low cost of the pen! But then, she was able to buy de Atramentis WHITE fountain pen ink in Sydney that is not available here yet.

      Delete
  2. Definitely time to dig out the bits and DO this! You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspired? Or fed our shared addiction? 😉

      Delete
    2. (I guess Blogger doesn't translate Apple emoticons)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Vicky! I am now blogging again (come see me) after a 3+-year hiatus, and am worn out after all the valentine card making and behind. May just have time from now on to comment occasionally. Had to smile at how Texas has claimed your heart. Can't remember who said that God made Texas this big so we would never have to leave it, and if we ever did leave, we could easily find our way back. Enjoying your sketches as usual. Glad you survived the Arkansas trip. xoxo, Aimeslee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog looks delightful -- thanks for the heads-up!
    I love the comment about Texas. I noticed on our trip that the Flint Hills of Kansas (near where we used to live) look so bleak in color with a pale washed-out cerulean blue sky. South-central Texas on the other hand has so many shades of green even in winter with more of a bright cobalt blue sky. Not to mention the incredibly colorful sunrises and sunsets!
    I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz movie but I chose to move away from the winds to colorful Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently found out about the flex G nibs and bought some from JetPens to use as dip nib for now. I saw the YouTube on converting the fountain pen, and I didn't realize they were so inexpensive! You've given me more to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an antique nib holder (dip pen) that I think one of these nibs will fit in. The one in the red Jinhao pen still works amazingly, does not leak, and holds lots of ink. I noticed that their converters with the black band work much better than those without, but a video at Goulet Pens' website says you can buy a universal converter that fits (and probably better quality than the Jinhao).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...