28 November 2015

one last quote from Sherlock and what to read next


This random quote from Sherlock Holmes ___ I just finished reading every case of his ever published ___ speaks of old fashioned moss roses. None of my roses are blooming presently, it having been a very tough year for gardening, but I have lantana blooming in abundance! So I added my favorite color to the page.

On the other side, the current "to-be-read" stack of books on my nightstand. Not counting a time-travel book our daughter loaned me -- it's in the drawer so the cat won't lick the edges. Also not counting 8 or 9 books on the shelf from the used book store. Or the multiples of ebooks on my Kindle.

I'm actually currently reading two of these in the stack; I often have 2 or 3 books going at the same time of different genres. At the moment, the top book about Victorian missionary Lilias Trotter, and The Urban Sketcher by Marc Holmes.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely page, and nice plans! Have a nice reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jana! I hope you are well and blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could enlarge your sketchbook photos so I could read your entries--they sound so interesting and enriching. I love your lantana and the idea of sketching your TBR pile(s). I'm enjoying Marc Holmes' book myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The text is clear in the photo; I'm not sure why it isn't when posted. It also seems to read clear on my Facebook post. I need to figure that out . . . Normally, clicking on the picture in Blogger enlarges it. I am usually using an iPad so I simply stretch it larger with my fingers.

    The quote reads: "Our highest assurance of the goodness of Providence seems to e to rest in the flowers. All other things, our powers, our desires, our food, are all really necessary for our existence in the first instance. But this rose is an extra. It's smell and it's flour are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Vicky! The text does seem clear on my screen--just too small for me to read. When I click on the photo, it does open in a new window, but it's the same size as the one in the blog post. If Blogger normally enlarges photos, then maybe it's a problem on my end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked -- it's not a problem on your end because it does not enlarge for me either. Which is weird. I use multiple devices to take photos: iPod, iPad, phone, or my camera -- I need to find a new battery for it. I need to figure this out. My personal journal notes are just diary jottings, but I often write Bible passages or quotes meant to encourage others. Which it won't do if it can't be read.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...