01 October 2012

sewing . . . if I remember how

It's sort of funny that after giving away my sewing machine's cabinet, I find myself sewing --- I really haven't sewn clothing for 25 or 30 years! But our oldest granddaughter wants to be Alice in Wonderland for Halloween. She has long blond hair and a new stuffed Cheshire cat. (I've heard our grandson in Austin is dressing as the Mad Hatter. It'd be cute if they could get together!)

Who knew it would be so hard to find a pattern? I assumed you could just turn to the costumes section of pattern books and find a licensed Disney version of "Alice". But I discovered the costume patterns go from infant to size 8 --- then skip to adult! What about size 10 girls still in grade school???

I finally found a suitable dress pattern; I'll try to make the apron myself without a pattern. My bigger challenge? Mikala is in Houston and there's no way to try it on her while sewing. I'm not even sure if pattens fit true to size anymore.

The reason I quit sewing is that my children thought it was dumb to wear home-made garments. Mikala is just the opposite --- she wishes her mom could sew and actually WANTS something sewn just for her! Nice to be appreciated . . . . . as long as I remember how to follow the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...