26 November 2011

limited palette, late 19th C.

* I replaced the first photo of this page after using a wet brush to tease out a wash
from each color. It is easier to see how these would work in a painting now.

My version, that is . . .

I've been going through a huge stack of past issues of Watercolor Artist magazine, trying to weed out those I probably won't read again. I will either save a few copies intact that have multiple articles I want to keep, or perhaps create a subject file of clipped articles.

Meanwhile, I found one article that featured a brand of watercolors marketed as pigments used by artists of the late 19th century. Those in the brand are ground of natural pigments; instead of looking for that brand on-line, I compared colors I currently have and came up with this basic matching set, placing the full pans and one half pan in my bijou box. Then I added 3 extra "convenience" colors to fill the empty spaces. I'm going to have some fun playing with this set -- I used them for everything but the bright red in the previous post.

I do wonder, though, if old masters' works just appear dark because of aging?

UPDATE:

The greens in the previous post looked a bit dull. I found that Cathy 'Kate" Johnson had the same red and yellow in her muted palette, but chose indigo as her blue. I have no indigo, but I had Indanthrone blue, so I tried that. Much better greens now, which is seen better in person than on my computer screen,

I have put together similar primary triads before, but only played around a bit with them. This time, I'd like to try actually painting with them.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! Color is one of my favorite things to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you did the colors! and your suggestions. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Masha, and thanks for commenting!
      This entry is over 12 years old — the original quinacridone gold is no longer available and the new version is not a good mixer. So I would probably use a raw sienna instead as my yellow (my favorite being Monte Amiata Natural Sienna from Daniel Smith).
      Your reminding me of this triad makes me want to play with it again!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...