04 September 2011

eating out with my dad

My dad and I have had a very weird, estranged relationship --- I hadn't even been to their "new" home since they bought it over 20 years ago. He and my step-mom closed the door to a relationship with me a long time ago (and, sadly, with their 4 wonderful grandchildren).

Then out of the blue, he phoned and asked us out to eat. It feels good to reconnect again after all these years. I'm looking forward to seeing where the Lord takes us in this.

The restaurant we ate at serves these amazing homemade dinner rolls that taste like the ones Bill's grandmother made. Along with a homemade cinnamon roll for each of us. Yum!

I used gouache on toned paper here --- but forgot that gouache dries darker than the colors mixed when wet. Still so much to learn!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I"m so glad your dad is trying to reconnect! My dad and I struggled for years and he lived in my home! He's disabled and Mom is his full-time caregiver. I provided a home and support for them. Dad hated me for years... then, all of a sudden, he changed his mind. He told me he loved me... wow... But, about a year later, he moved away with my brother and his family. Been about 4 years now and I miss Mom and Dad terribly. They're on the other side of the country and we can't afford to go visit...
    I truly hope you will renew your relationship with your dad and that he gets to know and realize what he's missed in a relationship with his grandchildren.
    Lotus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting, Lotus! I've enjoyed looking through your blog a bit.

    My parents divorced before I turned 8; my dad and I have always been distant, though he had my brother and me for visitation weekends once a month. He "disowned" me about 25 years ago when I confronted him with some hard truth about something he had done to me at 6 yrs. old.

    Now he is in his 80s and seems to have forgotten about the whole matter. I forgave him long ago --- I know the Lord is working out something awesome in all of us!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...